Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year! Who is in control?

Well, 2011 is officially underway. People are making "new year resolutions" or goals for the coming year. This is very admirable but I wonder how many goals or resolutions will last out the month?  I've tried every year to make a few resolutions, ie. eat a healthier diet, exercise more, lose weight, get organized, have daily devotions. But I don't have the discipline to make them last.  I've done some searching on this matter into my self and have discovered that's the main problem...my "self".  I've always been a self-sufficient person. Being brought up in New England by English/Scots parents, you just do it, don't complain about it and put on the stiff upper lip. If you need help, well then you are not doing your best and the job won't get done. I'm not blaming my heritage...that's just the way it was. Here's the truth, no one, none of us can do it alone.  We need help. We need people to be there for us. We need to allow others to help us through tough times and celebrate with us in the joyous times. More than that, we need to allow the Lord to direct and to help us. My "resolution" this year is to allow Him to direct me. How? Well, every time I think I can "do it" (control the situation), I'm going to stop and pray for His direction. I've gotten pretty good at knowing when I'm trying to control (almost all the time). Any other "resolutions" will need to come out of this all important one. Will I fail? Most certainly failure will happen...but I have a forgiving God who does not expect perfection from me and will help me to start over again.  What a wonderful relief and wonderful gift.  Who's in control in your life? Maybe it's time to look at this particular option.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, girlfriend. And I love how just when you *think* you have a handle on things, God shakes it up as a kind reminder. :o)

    ReplyDelete